[SATLUG] Noob tip Ubuntu

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 20:08:09 CST 2008

herb cee wrote:
> I recently found that I can boot just Gnome and reset the menus and
> running apps without rebooting the box << ctrl+alt+backspace closes
> files and reboots Gnome only. this helps when things start to bog a bit
> like streaming does when traffic is heavy. Or when Package manage fails
> and freezes and will not display the force quit. anyway it's faster by
> far than a full boot.

Actually ctrl+alt+backspace kills xorg.  Since the window manager runs
as a child of X, it dies too.  When a system is set to boot up to run
levl 5, it generally has something like:

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

in /etc/inittab, so X and your window manager (Gnome, KDE, twm, etc)
restart when X dies.  If you boot to a command line (generally run level
3) like I do, then ctrl+alt+backspace will just go back to the command line.

  -- Bruce