[SATLUG] Noob tip Ubuntu

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Mon Jan 21 21:40:09 CST 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> herb cee wrote:
>
>> I recently found that I can boot just Gnome and reset the menus and
>> running apps without rebooting the box << ctrl+alt+backspace closes
>> files and reboots Gnome only. this helps when things start to bog a bit
>> like streaming does when traffic is heavy. Or when Package manage fails
>> and freezes and will not display the force quit. anyway it's faster by
>> far than a full boot.
>>

> Actually ctrl+alt+backspace kills xorg.  Since the window manager runs
> as a child of X, it dies too.  When a system is set to boot up to run
> levl 5, it generally has something like:
>
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>
> in /etc/inittab, so X and your window manager (Gnome, KDE, twm, etc)
> restart when X dies.  If you boot to a command line (generally run level
> 3) like I do, then ctrl+alt+backspace will just go back to the command line.
>
>   -- Bruce

Hey thanks Bruce but what you post is so far over my head. What I
describe is running in a standard Ubuntu desktop install that boots to
Gnome. The only other way I know to get out of a hang-up is if the force
quit dialog pops up then I can get out by clicking on ok. So when the
force quit does not happen I only knew to go with a full reboot.  I read
that you can reboot only gnome by using the key combination and it does
work. I only mess with a CLI when I am forced.

Is there a risk in using this or is it safe when you only want to reset
Gnome? I have used it several times with no adverse effects butttt....

There is a thread going right now discussing the fact that most Linux
distros are not ready to replace the OS for a MS Win OS user to just
install and fly. I think this could be greatly improved by providing the
clicky clicky method of troubleshooting if it can be done in the help
provided. I can see this is damn tough to do when in any hour there are
hundreds of different problems occurring from the variation in
configurations and distros.

I can only relate to my personal experience, I began with DOS but never
did more than writing a .bat file to start a program. Once I bought Win
3.1 I was hooked into the GUI and I simply backed off from MS when I
grew to the point where WIN-98 could no longer run the newer stuff and I
rebelled at changing over to the forced costly upgrades, when instead of
curing the virus problem and the bots and spy ware, each upgrade got
worse. I kept trying every year or two to install Linux and finally I am
weaned except for some graphic stuff that I hope to be able to do with
Gimp but not yet. I  have opted to run a separate Win box on a LAN to do
this portion of work but I am using Ubuntu Synaptic managed programs for
all my other work . Now it has taken me since April last year to get to
this point.

The reason I posted this is for those like me who are flat not
comfortable with the CLI. My reason is that I cannot remember all the
commands and what the hell does what and I also know that Linux does not
pause and say 'Are you sure?' It simply tries to do what ever the syntax
describes. Not understanding the syntax and not having the extremely
confusing commands memorized or in some form that I can quickly look it
up is a positive risk that is frightening.

Also thanks for opening this door. I find almost all of help in the docs
only explain what to do in CLI mode and then the 'helper' says cut and
paste this into the terminal and yet there can be prior commands that
have to be run completely ignored. Linux is way different, for instance
if what is needed is to run a command that applies to something that
this command will only work if you navigate to where you should be
standing when you do the command. Excuse the grammar please.

The assumption is that you know all this stuff and nothing really is
standard procedure to a new user coming right from MS/OS. No doubt about
it the learning curve is straight up for the first 100hrs of reading and
searching.
Thanks
herb