[SATLUG] lvm2 and raid again

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Jan 21 21:51:14 CST 2008

On Monday 21 January 2008 19:31:19 Chris Lemire wrote:
> I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but I'd like lots of people's
> opinions on this idea. I want performance. I want to go fast. I don't to
> drive a school bus. I want to drive a turbo Hayabusa. I'm thinking of
> reinstalling Linux with a different layout. I'm thinking it might be better
> to eliminate raid 0 using mdadm and get striping using lvm2. I'll put all
> of Linux in the lvm2 striping including / /home and all.

Sounds cool.. although if you're going to the bother of having separate /
and /home, you might want to have separate spindles (disks) for system speed.
Things like firefox and openoffice can slew the heads a bit (if system speed
really is your goal here).

> Then I could have
> a seperate partition or two dedicated for backups without any type of raid
> or striping.  I could make nightly backups using cron of my home directory
> while I'm snoozing. > I'd like to bring my computer to the install fest to
> set this up. Does anyone have some thoughts?

If this is your goal (assume you're talking about using snapshots) then look
into using XFS so that you have a filesystem that you can sync and lock while
doing your partition snap.

Tweeks