[SATLUG] lvm2 and raid again

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 23:09:48 CST 2008

Backup to what? I could backup to another partition that isn't in striping. Isn't the partitions in striping more likely to fail than the others?

toddwbucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote: I can definitely understand your predicament.  I am a grad student at
UTSA trying to be a good husband and raise 3 kids.  That said the
problem, as I see it comes when you have a hardware failure on say your
raid 0.  Well that's all fine and good if you have your raid 1 on a
separate set of drives but in your case the raid 1 will be on the same
set of drives that fails.  Yeah I know that your RAID 1 will be backed
up on the drive that didn't fail.  But what a pain the butt  this is
especially true if the drive that fails happens to be your boot drive.
Not only that but because your using the same physical drives for both
raid 0 and 1 any benefits you might have gotten from your RAid 0
partition will be defeated by your raid 1 partition.  So why bother.  If
all you have is 2 drives and you cannot afford a third then I would
either take the risk (for the speed) and go pure raid 0 and back up
every night or take the safe route and go RAID 1.

Todd