[SATLUG] lvm2 and raid again

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 23:25:29 CST 2008

Why are lvm snapshots used. Those are new to me. I heard of them in the past. I read about them just now. Is it a bad idea to create a tar archive of the /home directory because there might be some io to the home directory while creating the tar archive? Is that why lvm snapshots are used?

Tom Weeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org> wrote: On Monday 21 January 2008 21:51:14 Tom Weeks wrote:
> If this is your goal (assume you're talking about using snapshots) then
> look into using XFS so that you have a filesystem that you can sync and
> lock while doing your partition snap.
> Tweeks

p.s. as others mentioned... snapshots to the same disk should not be
considered "backups", unless it's just a static holding place for you to go
to other media from via tar, rsynch, etc.

SATLUG mailing list
SATLUG at satlug.org