[SATLUG] lvm2 and raid again

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Jan 22 00:41:31 CST 2008

Chris Lemire wrote:
> I wish people would stop suggesting the impossible to me. I'm not going to go buy a very expensive raid controller when I haven't got the money together yet to pay a ticket. I'm a computer science college student and taking calculus 2. I don't have time to earn the money for things that everyone tells me to buy. What's in striping may fail or corrupt if I understand correctly, but my data could be backed up onto non striping partitions. I have 2 disks, and I'm not getting more any time soon.
Chris, I can't help you and maybe I should just keep shut. I try to
follow these projects even tho they are way the hell over my head.
However, I sure am seeing your point being missed by most. I keep
waiting for someone to say what to do with what you got in the best way.
like you, I still waiting.

Since you only have two drives you can only do what makes sense for
performance. It seems to me backing up is meaningless on those two
drives if they are a single device, as I glimmer RAID. So your sleep
period backup would have to be off to dvd or some storage large enough
to hold your data transactions for the backup period. Since you are
processing multimedia large files. Perhaps someone could assist you in
approaching this as a typical batch processing rather than on the fly
24/7 real time data processing. You back up only what got added/changed
since the last backup. I think this data can be collected on your 2drive
set as it occurs, then that is processed off to your backup filing
system (son, father, grandfather or some defined filing that will
minimize your risk and can indeed restore you back to before the crash
occurred) storage or however you choose. Many small biz operate on this
method, few years back they all did.

I think your need is getting confused with technical hardware
possibilities but then I only guessing. I hope I have not just added