[SATLUG] Noob tip Ubuntu

Samuel Leon leon36 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 04:46:15 CST 2008

herb cee wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> herb cee wrote:
>>
>>> I recently found that I can boot just Gnome and reset the menus and
>>> running apps without rebooting the box << ctrl+alt+backspace closes
>>> files and reboots Gnome only. this helps when things start to bog a bit
>>> like streaming does when traffic is heavy. Or when Package manage fails
>>> and freezes and will not display the force quit. anyway it's faster by
>>> far than a full boot.
>>>

>> Actually ctrl+alt+backspace kills xorg.  Since the window manager runs
>> as a child of X, it dies too.  When a system is set to boot up to run
>> levl 5, it generally has something like:
>>
>> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>>
>> in /etc/inittab, so X and your window manager (Gnome, KDE, twm, etc)
>> restart when X dies.  If you boot to a command line (generally run level
>> 3) like I do, then ctrl+alt+backspace will just go back to the command
>> line.
>>
>>   -- Bruce
>>

> Hey thanks Bruce but what you post is so far over my head. What I
> describe is running in a standard Ubuntu desktop install that boots to
> Gnome. The only other way I know to get out of a hang-up is if the force
> quit dialog pops up then I can get out by clicking on ok. So when the
> force quit does not happen I only knew to go with a full reboot.  I read
> that you can reboot only gnome by using the key combination and it does
> work. I only mess with a CLI when I am forced.
>
> Is there a risk in using this or is it safe when you only want to reset
> Gnome? I have used it several times with no adverse effects butttt....
>
> There is a thread going right now discussing the fact that most Linux
> distros are not ready to replace the OS for a MS Win OS user to just
> install and fly. I think this could be greatly improved by providing the
> clicky clicky method of troubleshooting if it can be done in the help
> provided. I can see this is damn tough to do when in any hour there are
> hundreds of different problems occurring from the variation in
> configurations and distros.
>
> I can only relate to my personal experience, I began with DOS but never
> did more than writing a .bat file to start a program. Once I bought Win
> 3.1 I was hooked into the GUI and I simply backed off from MS when I
> grew to the point where WIN-98 could no longer run the newer stuff and I
> rebelled at changing over to the forced costly upgrades, when instead of
> curing the virus problem and the bots and spy ware, each upgrade got
> worse. I kept trying every year or two to install Linux and finally I am
> weaned except for some graphic stuff that I hope to be able to do with
> Gimp but not yet. I  have opted to run a separate Win box on a LAN to do
> this portion of work but I am using Ubuntu Synaptic managed programs for
> all my other work . Now it has taken me since April last year to get to
> this point.

> [...]

I am really not sure how "good" ctrl alt backspace is.  I have had to
use it a few times.  A better way is, if a program is giving you
trouble, you can switch to the tty getty (terminal).  To get out of the
getty that X is running on you have to press ctrl alt and one of the F
keys 1-6.  That will take you to a full terminal.  There are 7 of them
f1-7.  Once you are in one you can switch back and forth between all of
them by just pressing alt and an f key.  The x server runs on 7.  Once
you are in the console you can run top or ps -ef  or ps aux to find the
process you need to kill.  With ps you might have to pipe over to less
to be able to uses the arrow keys to scroll the page that ps prints out.
ps aux | less

Also in really bad situations where the computer pretty much locks up
you can try forcing it to do a full reboot. Press "alt s" to sync the
disks followed by "alt u" to unmount the disks follow by "alt b" to
force a full reboot.

Sam