[SATLUG] Noob tip Ubuntu

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Jan 22 07:25:11 CST 2008

I read here http://linux.about.com/od/ubuntu_doc/a/ubudg10t18.htm
 >>> Restart GNOME without rebooting the computer
    Save and close all open applications.
     Use the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace shortcut keys to restart GNOME.
      If Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is disabled, type      sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
restart (assume opening terminal to type into)

Now in further googling I see this sometimes cause problems with some
machines I remembered this shortcut some time back when I clicked the
update notice icon and had the desktop freeze the mouse had no effect on
any window so 'ctrl alt backspace' shut down Gnome and restarted with
the log-in dialog. I tried the update again and this time it worked
fine. This has happened several times since. Not often enough to call it
a problem just annoying and since I usually do not have anything running
at that moment it is a fast easy way to get out of the hangup.

I thought it was useful information to pass on to fellow noobs but I
should have said be cautious. if the mouse is dead then you will lose
any unsaved data. If I discover another tip I will be more careful and
ask my peers first.
Thanks guys
herb