[SATLUG] Noob tip Ubuntu

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Jan 22 17:54:21 CST 2008

herb cee wrote:
> I read here http://linux.about.com/od/ubuntu_doc/a/ubudg10t18.htm
>    Save and close all open applications.
>     Use the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace shortcut keys to restart GNOME.
>      If Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is disabled, type      sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
> restart (assume opening terminal to type into)
>
> Now in further googling I see this sometimes cause problems with some
> machines I remembered this shortcut some time back when I clicked the
> update notice icon and had the desktop freeze the mouse had no effect
> on any window so 'ctrl alt backspace' shut down Gnome and restarted
> with the log-in dialog. I tried the update again and this time it
> worked fine. This has happened several times since. Not often enough
> to call it a problem just annoying and since I usually do not have
> anything running at that moment it is a fast easy way to get out of
> the hangup.
>
> I thought it was useful information to pass on to fellow noobs but I
> should have said be cautious. if the mouse is dead then you will lose
> any unsaved data. If I discover another tip I will be more careful and
> ask my peers first.

you're on the right track, Herb, but for someone to say that
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace only restarts Gnome, is just plain 'wrong'.

Gnome is but one of several-to-choose-from Window Managers (WM's).

As SAC Computer Instructor (I think) Bruce Dubbs (I think it was) said,
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace restarts the 'X-window' program (in my case, and I
suspect mot everyone elses, that would be xdm - which is what permits
the graphical user login).  Were it not for the program that allowed the
gui login, there would be no window manager to have a place to be up and
running.

So, again- for someone to let people believe that the key-combination
was -only- good for Gnome, well... that's just wrong!

-Geoff