[SATLUG] Hard drive partitions, mount points, and motherboards

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:54:50 CST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 3:46 PM, Justin Burdette <justin.burdette at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking about adding a second SATA hard drive to my system when I
> upgrade next month. I think I remember reading somewhere that different
> hard
> drive partitions can share the same mount point. For example, right now my
> /home partition is sda5. If I add the 2nd drive and have the partition
> sdb5,
> can they both have /home as a mount point, and will the file system see
> them
> as one continuous space? It's time to upgrade from my 200GB (30GB for /,
> approx. 80 each for /home and /common) to something closer to 1TB.

You can't "share" mount points between devices.  You could setup RAID or LVM
to combine the devices into one device, but it is far easier to simply move
your home directory to the larger drive and mount it on /home.  After you
are sure the data is copied to the new drive, be sure to delete it off the
old drive to recover the space on your root partition.

-Henry