[SATLUG] lvm2 and raid again

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 22 20:18:38 CST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 5:39 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:

> On 1/21/08, Chris Lemire wrote:
>
> >  I believe this is the equivalent of a turbo Hayabusa.

Can't have Dom Perignon on a Beer budget either.

> more goes into a Turbo Hayabusa than the most wicked-fast tires and wheels
> that
> you can put on the bike.  You need an engine, transmission, etc...
> that can put out the kind of power you'd need to justify having those
> wheels & tires.

Exactly.  There are trade offs.  Besides, parity-style RAID types (3,5)
benefit from hardware acceleration to run the XORs, whereas mirroring and
striping are not computationally expensive, so your bang for buck is not in
hardware RAID.  Rather, it would be more cost effective to buy more drives
for backups, or (as Bruce states, depending on the value of the data) use an
online backup service (Amazon S3 + "Brackup") works for me, especially with
large, immutable datasets.  Course any disk setup in the world will be
faster than most residential upload speeds :)

Bottom line, a Hayabusa is equivalent to striping: you go f*^king fast, but
if you f*^k up, your dead.