[SATLUG] XP Legal Issue Question

Don Wright wmail at wricomp.com
Tue Jan 22 21:15:22 CST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:00:39 -0800 (PST), Mario Compean
<mariocompeanc at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Here's the question: is it legal to transfer-install the OEM XP in the new box?

Best info I've seen from Microsoft is that OEM copies are licensed to
one specific CPU/motherboard only. Upgrading the MB or replacing the CPU
chip requires purchase of a new copy of Windows.

That said, I've also heard it isn't that big a deal as long as the
license key is only running on a single system at a time. (The license
desk guys you have to call generally re-authorize without too much
begging.)

Linux is just so much easier, even with the arguments about whether
certain drivers are "free" enough.  --Don