[SATLUG] Your take on Sun buying MySQL?

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:41:39 CST 2008

When I posted this on my blog a couple of days ago, I discussed it with a
few of my colleagues, and I seem to be the only one that has a positive take
on it.  I understand that the open-source community seems to have an overall
sour view of the deal, but I think it can be a great thing for mysql and
open source in general.  In every single enterprise IT environment that I
consult in, the IT manager/CIO/CTO is concerned with enterprise support
above all else.  While some operating systems and applications (like RedHat,
Novell, open/star office) have enterprise support available, many don't.
Hopefully by taking MySQL in and providing enterprise support for the
application as is, or part of a larger Solaris/MySQL/Apache/Java stack, it
will be more readily accepted by 'the suits.'  I am really tired of having
to offer either MSSQL or Oracle when an enterprise application (read Tier 1
supported) is planned for deployment.  The sooner Sun announces enterprise
support for MySQL, the sooner I can start architecting MySQL into all of the
Tier 1 projects that I consult on.

Ernest