[SATLUG] XP Legal Issue Question

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Wed Jan 23 00:44:46 CST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:15:22 -0600
  Don Wright <wmail at wricomp.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:00:39 -0800 (PST), Mario Compean
> <mariocompeanc at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Here's the question: is it legal to transfer-install the OEM XP in the new
>>box?

Here's are some excerpts from my copy of the WinXP OEM System Builder License:

By accepting this icense, you agree that you are a system builder.
"System Builder" means an origianl equipment manufacturer, an assembler,
refurbisher, or pre-installer of software on computer systems.
-------------------------------------
Ergo, if you are refurbishing a computer system, it is legal for you to put an
OEM version of WindowsXP OEM on it. If you simply transfer your current hard
drive to the new machine, you are 'refurbishing' it. If it tells you that you
require new authorization, do it by phone and tell them you're refurbishing a
machine and need to reauthorize that copy of WinXP OEM. Shouldn't have any
problems. They have never given me any trouble when I've done this in the
past.
I am currently trying out Ubuntu Linux on one hard drive. But I maintain
Windows XP OEM on my other drive. I will also be building a new system from
scratch and putting WinXP 64 OEM on it, as I will be using it with a program
that is not Linux compatible, and runs way to slow under WINE.
BTW, I get all my new copies of WinXP OEM from newegg.com whenever I refurbish
an old unit, or buy or build a new one. Haven't found a better deal anywhere.
http://www.newegg.com/
Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2C - OEM sells at $139.99.
So does the 64bit version. XP Home runs $89.99