[SATLUG] Looking for another ISP

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:13:45 CST 2008

Good morning all. I'd like to get input from the community about the
various ISPs in town. Here at the HSC, we have a contract with Time
Warner to provide business class speeds at a low price per month. The
speed is roughly 10 down, 1 up. While this is good, the up speed
really caps what we can do from home. We do a lot of Access Grid
conferences, VNC and application development from home to campus and
we really need more up speeds.

While surfing the TWC page, I found they are now offering a business
rate of 15 down, 2 up. I called our contact here for TWC and they said
this was available for $499.95 month! Possibly they could add it to
our existing contract which would drop the price to around $400 a
month. This is 11 times more a month than what we pay now and a
totally unacceptable price.

What I'd like to know is are there any other companies in town that
offer similar speeds for a reasonable cost?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility