[SATLUG] Looking for another ISP

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:26:22 CST 2008

If $400 is 11 times more a month than you are paying now, you are
essentially getting business class service for less than basic home service
costs (not including promotions.)  If you are concerned about upstream
speeds and you want a larger pipe, you will probably need to go to SBC.  I
can't remember the exact price, but for 1 Gbit site to site between sites
and 10 Mbit to the cloud (what you're more concerned about) it was around 4k
or 5k a month.  When you are pricing in the hundreds, you are getting a
steal of a deal.

Remember that off-cloud site to site and on-cloud download bandwidth are not
that expensive in general.  Once you want to hop on the cloud for upload
purposes, that's where charges get high.  Anything above 1 to 1.5 Mbit/sec
is considered business class because you are essentially heading into the
ISP upstream speeds.  I doubt any company will offer 2 Mbit/sec upstream for
less than 4 or 500 dollars, and you will hit the thousands a month by the
time you reach 10 Mbit/sec.

Ernest