[SATLUG] Looking for another ISP

David Power dpower at hal-pc.org
Wed Jan 23 16:55:30 CST 2008

> Good morning all. I'd like to get input from the community about the
> various ISPs in town. Here at the HSC, we have a contract with Time
> Warner to provide business class speeds at a low price per month. The
> speed is roughly 10 down, 1 up. While this is good, the up speed
> really caps what we can do from home. We do a lot of Access Grid
> conferences, VNC and application development from home to campus and
> we really need more up speeds.
>
> While surfing the TWC page, I found they are now offering a business
> rate of 15 down, 2 up. I called our contact here for TWC and they said
> this was available for $499.95 month! Possibly they could add it to
> our existing contract which would drop the price to around $400 a
> month. This is 11 times more a month than what we pay now and a
> totally unacceptable price.
>
> What I'd like to know is are there any other companies in town that
> offer similar speeds for a reasonable cost?

Actually that’s very cheep for bandwidth.
You can give the San Antonio CityNap a call and see if they can get you on
net (1 gig city fiber loop)$$, you would then purchase a rack $1000+ a
month, install a router $$ and then buy a cross connect $ and then purchase
all the bandwidth you need from any of the 5  or 6 providers that are setup
there, Ill bet you can get a 10 meg circuit for less than $2000 a month.

Commercial bandwidth like that is guaranteed, your current connect is a
shared best effort product.

I have had some success purchasing upload bandwidth in the past from a local
isp's that don't do webhosting (these are getting hard to find) most of the
bandwidth is coming toward them to the customers.
Hosters bandwidth goes the other way it's almost all outbound from the web
servers. If your ISP is providing bandwidth to a lot of hosting companies
that have a lot of "spare" inbound bandwidth that they sell quite cheaply.

I'm surprised at how cheep bandwidth is these days, It wasn’t that long ago
when a backbone connected T-1 was $10k a month plus local loop. I know I
have some old UUNet invoices around here for that.

David

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:24 AM