[SATLUG] Looking for another ISP

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:52:46 CST 2008

David Power wrote:

>> While surfing the TWC page, I found they are now offering a business
>> rate of 15 down, 2 up. I called our contact here for TWC and they said
>> this was available for $499.95 month! Possibly they could add it to
>> our existing contract which would drop the price to around $400 a
>> month. This is 11 times more a month than what we pay now and a
>> totally unacceptable price.
>>
>> What I'd like to know is are there any other companies in town that
>> offer similar speeds for a reasonable cost?
>
> Actually that’s very cheep for bandwidth.

s/cheep/cheap/

I'll have to raise the BS flag here.  Why does 90% of South Korea have 3
Mbps available?  They certainly don't pay $500/month per person.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/08/technology/business2_futureboy0608/index.htm

And this article is from 2 years ago. See below.

Face it, our mis-named broadband is terrible and costs far more than it
should.

http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/statistics/at_glance/top20_broad_2004.html
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0704/

What is really telling about price is:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0705/

>From here, we see from a report last May:

       Average Speed  Price/1 Mbps/month
       (Mbps)
Korea     45.6             0.45
Japan     61.3             0.27
US         4.8             3.33

One problem is that the FCC defines "broadband" at 200kbps.  This is
clearly inadequate.  It needs to be at least 10 times that if not 100
times.  The cost also needs to come down to be (at least) below
$1/Mpbs/month.

The US is a leader in technology--not!

  -- Bruce