[SATLUG] Looking for another ISP

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Jan 23 18:22:42 CST 2008

> s/cheep/cheap/
>
> I'll have to raise the BS flag here.  Why does 90% of South Korea have 3
> Mbps available?  They certainly don't pay $500/month per person.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/08/technology/business2_futureboy0608/index.htm
>
> And this article is from 2 years ago. See below.
>
> Face it, our mis-named broadband is terrible and costs far more than it
> should.
>
> http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/statistics/at_glance/top20_broad_2004.html
> http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0704/
>
> What is really telling about price is:
>
> http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0705/
>
> >From here, we see from a report last May:
>
>        Average Speed  Price/1 Mbps/month
>        (Mbps)
> Korea     45.6             0.45
> Japan     61.3             0.27
> US         4.8             3.33
>
> One problem is that the FCC defines "broadband" at 200kbps.  This is
> clearly inadequate.  It needs to be at least 10 times that if not 100
> times.  The cost also needs to come down to be (at least) below
> $1/Mpbs/month.
>
> The US is a leader in technology--not!

Both in terms of price and performance, the USA averages somewhere in
the middle. Considering US position in the world, one would definitely
expect better. Our position as a technology leader has eroded in
last decade or so, and even though we could do a lot better, monopolies
and corporate power/greed prevent the residential broadband customer to
be a winner in this country. In other countries there is much more emphasis
on investing in infrastructure and services, in our country the energy is
spent elsewhere (and I'm not going there).

-b.