[SATLUG] OT: Blogging

phn1x phnx.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:00:16 CST 2008

I use wordpress, the only problem with it is it gets lit up a lot. It's like
microsoft versus linux in the sense that Wordpress is microsoft, and
everyone uses it. Naturally this brings us to a point where security
researchers are constantly banging on it. This then becomes two fold:

First: It Makes newer versions secure
Secondly: If you are hosting your own server, and are running wordpress you
have to constantly monitor it to ensure its updated. Fortunately, my hosting
company takes care of that for me!

Blogging is alright, I do R&D&D (the last D is for distruction) and I'd say
67% of the sites I end up on are blogs. I've taken my blog to that route
where I discuss technical items whenever I post. This of course brings me to
two points about blogging. Number 1: Blogging is difficult to do, I say this
because I lack motivation to constantly write something. I've found myself
going two months or more without making a post. Time conciousness aside, Ive
managed to obtain a small following.
Number 2: Handling multiple blogs (technical and personal) is even harder to
do. I've also found that unless you have a very interesting life, or enjoy
ranting about poor drivers and can do it in a comical fashion no one will
read it! There are so many abandoned blogs out there, so make sure if you
start one up that you have something to write about, and the
persistence/will power to contribute to it.

I've set myself milestones and or research items which I post to the blog.
This in turns keeps me accountable for both my continued education and for
constantly blogging.