[SATLUG] Looking for another ISP

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jan 23 21:41:51 CST 2008

On 1/23/08, MKR wrote:

>  Why not call the guys at UT Austin and find out what options they have
>  looked into. They use a lot of bandwidth. I believe their servers use 45MB
>  up and down. Also there may be system wide deal with AT&T and other
>  providers in Texas.

I just started working at UT Austin on Tuesday, but in my experience
most Universities are effectively their own ISP, and they buy
upstream network bandwidth from a variety of Tier-1 and Tier-2
providers -- typically measured in terms of hundreds of megabits per
second, up and down.

I'm not sure that a University model is quite the right one to be
comparing against here.  Maybe a high school, although what I've seen
happen with most high schools is that all the schools in a given area
get a group network bandwidth deal, frequently either from the city
itself or in partnership with them.

Personally, I'd actually start with the Personal CoLo page at
<http://www.vix.com/personalcolo/>, and then contact some of the
providers listed there to see if they also provide NSP services for
small organizations.

I may also be able to give you a personal recommendation for a small
NSP that I believe is good, but I don't know if they'd be able to
provide bandwidth for you in your region.