[SATLUG] Looking for another ISP

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Jan 25 06:36:17 CST 2008

> Since UTHSC is a large institution by itself, don't they already have some
> kind of setup to deal with this kind of need. OOH, with telecommuting
> becoming more common, this kind of need for fast uploading capacity may have
> been addressed in other parts of the country. May be posting this question
> on a nationally distributed e-mail forum may bring more info.

UTHSCSA has a deal with Time Warner, for standard business class
service at a discounted rate. That rate is officially 512 up and 6000
down (half-duplex). While the service is nice and sufficient for most
purposes, we have some applications that just don't work well with the
512 upload limit, especially since it is half-duplex. The deal is quite
reasonable, but just a small increase in upload makes this cost more than
10 fold higher.

-b.