[SATLUG] WLAN frequency detection

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sat Jan 26 11:15:59 CST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 10:03 AM, Zylone <zylone31337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2008 4:51 PM, john mashl <jmashl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  hey yall
> >
> > I have been working for a wireless internet service provider horizion
> > telecom/ranch wireless here in seguin.
> >
> > hwtx.com    or   ctxu.com
> >
> > somtimes we get signal interference and i have been wondering if there
> > is a way to "see" what outher frequencys might be causing the problem.
> > we use the motorolla canpopy product line that uses the 2.4 ghz band
> > for the subscriber modules. when we do an a.p. scan the radio will
> > tell us that there are outher frequencys in use but nothing specific.
> > would baudline help or does anybody have any outher suggestions for
> > scanning the 2.4 ghz bandwidth
> > --
>
> I agree, spectrum analyzer is the way to go as far as seeing what else is
> out there, and try and get away from the 2.4ghz range. Might cost a bit
> more, but look into Canopy's 5ghz equipment, or even look into other
> equipment, esp for smaller subsciber setup's where tons of bandwidth
> aren't
> needed, like Tranzeo, etc.

Granted, I am only a "prosumer" so I did not need to get a "professional"
grade analyzer.  I have to say that the $200 WiSpy v2 from MetaGeek is
good for people like me who don't need (or can bill for) spectrum analysis,
and the WiSpy 2.4 @ $400 is even better with higher resolution, faster sweep
times, and external antenna.  I could not find any decent gear for less than
2K when I wanted to "sweep" my house for 2.4G noise, and the WiSpy gear fit
the bill.  And they are both supported in Linux via the Kismet project!

HTH,
jp