[SATLUG] WLAN frequency detection

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Sat Jan 26 18:25:00 CST 2008

john mashl wrote:
>   hey yall
>
> I have been working for a wireless internet service provider horizion
> telecom/ranch wireless here in seguin.
>
> hwtx.com    or   ctxu.com
>
> somtimes we get signal interference and i have been wondering if there
> is a way to "see" what outher frequencys might be causing the problem.
> we use the motorolla canpopy product line that uses the 2.4 ghz band
> for the subscriber modules. when we do an a.p. scan the radio will
> tell us that there are outher frequencys in use but nothing specific.
> would baudline help or does anybody have any outher suggestions for
> scanning the 2.4 ghz bandwidth

John,

You have to remember that Part 15 WiFi/IEEE 802.11b is an unlicensed service
with a specific power limit.

On the 2.4-2.5 MHz band there are a number of licensed users running much more
power than the unlicensed Part 15 service is allowed to run.  Some of there
licensed users are railroads, others are medical and scientific licensees.  And
finally amateur radio operators are licensed to operate in the lower portion of
that band (2.390-2.450 GHz) and run some broad band high power systems there.

So you might want to try and stay above 2.450 GHz.

Walt