[SATLUG] not successful at installfest

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 21:51:04 CST 2008

After meeting my friend James who is new Linux to the Installfest, he can
not use internet with his Dell laptop. He has to use 28 kbps dial up speed
with his 56 kbps modem for internet. That's all that's available in his
area. I knew the winmodem in his laptop would be a problem before we came,
so I gave him my external usrobotics hardware modem. It plugs into computers
through a parallel port and even has an adapter if needed to convert it to a
connector with less pins. I looked at both of his laptop and saw there was
no where to use either type. The only port with pins I saw was for vga
output. Now I'm wondering if there is any way at all to use that modem on
either of his laptops such as a converter or other method. What other
solutions are there to getting internet working in Linux with either of his
laptops?