[SATLUG] not successful at installfest

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 23:51:29 CST 2008

Yes, both laptops have PCMCIA and USB ports. I don't know what a 32 bit PCMCIA port is. I didn't know there was more than one type of PCMCIA port. Are these parts inexpensive and work fine under Linux? Are you saying that two converters/adapters should be used together? James looked for the model number, but it is worn off the sticker. I do know the modem works in Linux because that's what someone was using it for during a couple of years before she switched to cable. On the front of the modem, it says "v.90 56k standard x2 and technology compatible." You are correct. There are 25 pins. There's also a 25 pin to 9 pin converter that can be used but doesn't have to be used. This modem has been around for a while.

FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote: What are the ports that he does have?  Any PCMCIA? Any USB?

You mentioned two laptops, do either have the ports mentioned above?
If he has at least a PCMCIA port that is 32 bit, you can use a PCMCIA-USB
adapter then a USB-RS232 adapter to get the modem working.

Also, what is the model # of the modem you have?  I don't recall any modems
working off of a parallel port, perhaps it's a 25 pin serial connection?

FIRESTORM_v1