[SATLUG] OT: CDRW Media

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 09:12:13 CST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 9:44 PM, John Choate <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with the positive opinions regarding Verbatim media.
> Also, I have never had good luck with ANY Memorex CD or DVD media. I have had
> more coasters with Memorex than with any other brand while having next to
> none with Verbatim.
> I have had bad luck with Maxell and Fuji as well. Sony fared better than
> others, but still far more coasters than Verbatim.
> The drives I have used were mostly from LiteOn, Sanyo and Samsung.

Interesting, those are the brands that work best for me ;) I usually
stick to Fuji or Memorex for DVD data. I haven't bought CDs in years
so I can't comment about that. The only experience with high speed
CDRWs is that they will not work in older drives. I have a burner in
my Mac and there is one media, a 10x CDRW disc, that cdrecord reports
that my drive is not compatible and refuses to burn to it.\

I tend to buy bulk media from www.shop4tech.com. The Azul brand is
pretty good, but even then, I get 2-5 coasters per 100 spool.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility