[SATLUG] OT: CDRW Media

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Jan 28 09:21:08 CST 2008

I have been using RICOH media with mixed success. The first CDRs I
ever bought from them (gold media) back in the 90ties still read fine
on all of my readers, and were burnt at 2x (!). Some DVDRs from RICOH
I burnt just last year started to fail more and more and finally became
unreadable. The room in which they are stored gets hot during the summer
and that may have done them in. However, the old RICOH's gold media
survived just fine many hot SA summers in the same room.

So while I have not produced any coasters with any of them, the longevity
of the data stored on them is a different question. I don't mind burning
at 2x if this insures the longevity of the data, but I also would like
to know what CD/DVD media and write speed would have the longest survival
chances for archiving purposes.

-b.