[SATLUG] OT: CDRW Media

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 11:15:31 CST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 11:08 AM, John Chalinder <argiod at bresnan.net> wrote:
> I have trouble with CDWR and DVDRW both the - and the + formats. I have a
> stack of disks gathering dust on my shelf. Most of the time the drive will not
> even 'see' the disk, and repeatedly ask me to 'insert disk'. Some disks that I
> know have data on them will read as blank and ready to burn.
>
> In addition; I have an HP Lightscribe, and it won't even acknowledge disks
> made specifically for it. It will burn a label just fine. But, what good to
> label a disk that won't take data?
>
> I'm waiting to see if anything will be done in the industry to improve the
> functioning of these drives before I waste another penny on it. So far, all
> the disks I've bought are nothing but expensive paperweights.

John, what drive is this? I've had 2 DVD burners in my life, a Pioneer
1300 and now a NEC 1400A (I think its a Lite-On model). Both of these
drives you can download newer firmware and reflash to unlock extra
features and fix some bugs. If you're having this much trouble with
your media, I would advise to reflash your burner.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility