[SATLUG] Package Management

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Mon Jan 28 15:05:33 CST 2008

CLI package mgrMon Jan 28 14:50:28 2008 Hey guys I just did this and
then got all paranoid over it. I just want to install the
GoogleEarthLinux.bin into the Gnome packages and since the instructs are
CLI based I needed to make sure that gdebi was installed and I
previously asked the list if any damage would occur if I asked to
install a package that was already installed and I was assured that it
would not hurt anything that the sys would check to see if it was there
and would automatically upgrade if needed

So here is the terminal text showing where it did exactly what yawl said
but then it said some stuff was there that was not needed so I decided
to allow it to remove the extranious files and then.... Paranoia set in
.....  so can someone please read what i just did and say it is ok, or
if I goofed what should i do before I go further
thanks so much Herb
herb at Aelf:~$ sudo apt-get install gdebi
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gdebi is already the newest version.
required:
  libsvga1 libglide2 fontforge gnome-raw-thumbnailer gimp-dcraw
  libuninameslist0 inkscape libgtkglext1
herb at Aelf:~$ apt-get autoremove
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you
root?
herb at Aelf:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  libsvga1 libglide2 fontforge gnome-raw-thumbnailer gimp-dcraw
  libuninameslist0 inkscape libgtkglext1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fontforge gimp-dcraw gnome-raw-thumbnailer inkscape libglide2 libgtkglext1
  libsvga1 libuninameslist0
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 61.2MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 161812 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fontforge ...
Removing gimp-dcraw ...
Removing gnome-raw-thumbnailer ...
Removing inkscape ...