[SATLUG] Package Management

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:51:53 CST 2008

herb cee wrote:
> CLI package mgrMon Jan 28 14:50:28 2008 Hey guys I just did this and
> then got all paranoid over it. I just want to install the
> GoogleEarthLinux.bin into the Gnome packages and since the instructs are
> CLI based I needed to make sure that gdebi was installed~

If it's in the repository, Synaptic should be able to see it.  If you
know the name of the package, you should be able to look for it with
Synaptic (though you might have to use the Search function to find it).

I turned on Synaptic, clicked on Reload, clicked on Search, typed in
"gdebi" and up it came, marked as installed.  you could have done the same.

I'm ok with the fact that some guys use the CLI for everything but that
doesn't mean I have to.  I only use it as a last resort.  I'm a GUI sort
of geek cuz that's what works for me.  :)