[SATLUG] Package Management

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Mon Jan 28 18:48:17 CST 2008

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> Herb, packages are removed and added to the repository on a daily
> basis. This just means that the programs you had installed were no
> longer needed or part of the current repository.

Whew, thanks Jeremy. I am unsure on the next step.

Ok my objective is to install the software for Google Earth for an
Ubuntu 7.10 install and there are no install instructions on the Google
DL page.
I found this brief paragraph here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/06/google_earth_for_linux.html
.... Install was a breeze, just download the GoogleEarthLinux.bin, chmod
+x it to make it executable and run it. By default it installs to
~/google-earth/ but you have the option to change this during the install.

So I DLed the .bin file to a temp directory and ran the chmod +x
GoogleEarthLinux.bin command. since it did not complain I assume the
command to make the file executable worked. Then it just says run it. I
had no luck looking for a man page for 'run'

I went here http://www.ss64.com/bash/ and searched for a command that
has <<<run>>> in the command brief, assuming that the command I need
would need to be run with bash. Here is a list of the commands found:

.            Run a command script in the current shell
builtin     Run a shell built-in
chroot     Run a command with a different root directory
command  Run a command - ignoring shell functions
crontab      Schedule a command to run at a later time
nohup        Run a command immune to hangups
source       Run commands from a file `.'

My question is which one do I use and should it be this syntax? <<< .
GoogleEarthLinux.bin>>> or should I use one of the other commands?
Thanks
herb