[SATLUG] Managed System Monitoring

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Mon Jan 28 23:11:42 CST 2008

Please pardon the cross posting...

I've got a client that is interested in finding a company offering
system monitoring services for their handful of Linux and Windows
servers and router. I was wondering if anyone knew of a company offering
24x7 remote monitoring.

I mentioned OSSEC HIDS to them for an in-house log aggregation and
analysis system. The problem is that I can't be available 24x7 nor do
they have the staff to react to any alerts that come in.

They are also interested in finding an online remote backup provider.
Their nightly backups aren't very large, so something fairly simple, but
reliable would be adequate. I'm envisioning a host that would allow
ssh-based or ssh-tunneled transfers, but whatever works.

Any suggestions for services or alternatives I can propose?

(...besides moving their stuff to Rackspace...)

Thanks,

Daniel