[SATLUG] Managed System Monitoring

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Tue Jan 29 08:42:02 CST 2008

David Kowis wrote:
> Quoting "Daniel J. Givens" <daniel at rugmonster.org>:
>
>> Please pardon the cross posting...
>>
>> I've got a client that is interested in finding a company offering
>> system monitoring services for their handful of Linux and Windows
>> servers and router. I was wondering if anyone knew of a company offering
>> 24x7 remote monitoring.
>
> 24x7 remote monitoring can be very expensive. What i'd do is try to
> mitigate risk and determine what things really need to be monitored 24x7
> and see if it could be done by on-call people.

As I said, they don't have the full time staff with the knowledge of how
to respond to any major problems on their Linux servers.

I'm not so much worried about the cost at this moment. I've just been
tasked to find some options.

> Nagios can interface with a cell phone infrastructure to enable calling
> people, or paging them. Nagios would be a good, inexpensive solution to
> set up.

I'm familiar with Nagios and service/SNMP monitoring wouldn't be
sufficient for what they're looking for. They're wanting more of a
security monitoring (ports, file integrity, log analysis, etc) and while
I could set them up, I can't promise to always check my email or be
available 24x7 to respond to events.

> Amazon provides a service online called S3. If a sysadmin were to gpg
> encrypt their backups (of course protecting the key adequately, on a cd
> in a safe deposit box or something) it's really cheap to use as a backup
> solution. about $5 a month for 35GB worth of data. Something to look
> into anyway.

Sweet! I didn't realize it was that inexpensive. I'll put that one down
on the list to give them.

Thank you!

Daniel