[SATLUG] Managed System Monitoring

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Tue Jan 29 09:02:30 CST 2008

Quoting "Daniel J. Givens" <daniel at rugmonster.org>:

> David Kowis wrote:
>> Quoting "Daniel J. Givens" <daniel at rugmonster.org>:
>>
>>> Please pardon the cross posting...
>>>
>>> I've got a client that is interested in finding a company offering
>>> system monitoring services for their handful of Linux and Windows
>>> servers and router. I was wondering if anyone knew of a company offering
>>> 24x7 remote monitoring.
>>
>> 24x7 remote monitoring can be very expensive. What i'd do is try to
>> mitigate risk and determine what things really need to be monitored 24x7
>> and see if it could be done by on-call people.
>
> As I said, they don't have the full time staff with the knowledge of how
> to respond to any major problems on their Linux servers.
>
> I'm not so much worried about the cost at this moment. I've just been
> tasked to find some options.
>
>> Nagios can interface with a cell phone infrastructure to enable calling
>> people, or paging them. Nagios would be a good, inexpensive solution to
>> set up.
>
> I'm familiar with Nagios and service/SNMP monitoring wouldn't be
> sufficient for what they're looking for. They're wanting more of a
> security monitoring (ports, file integrity, log analysis, etc) and while
> I could set them up, I can't promise to always check my email or be
> available 24x7 to respond to events.

Nagios can be integrated into log analysis. logsurfer comes to mind.
Ports and file integrity can be monitored as well. Nagios can really
do anything.

The key here is: finding a company that will respond 24x7. That's
quite expensive, and I don't know anyone that will do it. I only know
of Rackspace around here, and you have to use their servers and their
hardware. San Antonio doesn't have the most diverse technical services.

>> Amazon provides a service online called S3. If a sysadmin were to gpg
>> encrypt their backups (of course protecting the key adequately, on a cd
>> in a safe deposit box or something) it's really cheap to use as a backup
>> solution. about $5 a month for 35GB worth of data. Something to look
>> into anyway.
>
> Sweet! I didn't realize it was that inexpensive. I'll put that one down
> on the list to give them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261

Calculate your expenses:
http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html?