[SATLUG] not successful at installfest

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 13:04:42 CST 2008

This file was also included in the Modem directory after running the scanModem script.

 http://www.4shared.com/file/36321530/d5ab672f/ALSAroot.html

country <glenn.toothman at gmail.com> wrote: I can't speak for Dell, but my Compaq and Puppy work very well, am on DSL
and get excelent throughput.  Now I did not slick the disk and reformat when
I installed it, just did the install over Windoze but it works very well.

The only problem I have with all of it, and have not taken time to go check
it out, is that while on the net, and go to Sirius to listen to music, it
will not play th3e music, but I think I just need to find another program to
fix that..  nothing too exotic,

2008/1/28 Don Crowder :

> Chris Lemire wrote:
> > The port is 25 pin. I'm not familiar with older computer
>  >technology, so I said that. Are those Serial-to-USB
>  > adapters compatible with Linux and inexpensive? Can
> > they be bought from Walmart or Radio Shack, or
> > should I go somewhere else?
> >

> A standard USR external modem cable has a 25 pin male "D" connector that
> goes to the modem and a 9 pin female "D" connector that fits into a
> standard serial port.  I probably have an extra if you need it, maybe we
> can do some swapping.  At any rate, the best place to find one would be
> at about any small computer shop that's been around for a while (a used
> one, which shouldn't cost you much; new ones can be had on the web for
> about $3 but the shipping would increase the cost by at least 4X and
> more probably 5X).  You'd still need a serial-to-USB adaptor.
> I found a gadget listed on eBay, described as a
> "USB 2.0 to RS232 Serial DB9 9 Pin Cable+DB25 Adapter D8"
> that looked like it might do your job (getting from the DB25 to USB) but
> the link was a block long and the auction will have expired by the time
> I send this.  At any rate, it went for less than $10 and an eBay search
> on the string...
> "serial to USB adaptor"
> ...turned up several other possibilities that would be far more
> affordable than, for example, these:
> http://www.practicerange.com/detail.aspx?ID=812
> http://www.cablemax.net/detail/index.cfm?nPID=729
>
> Don Crowder