[SATLUG] Re: Altex website

scs at worldlinkisp.com scs at worldlinkisp.com
Thu Jan 31 10:38:51 CST 2008

I've dealt with Altex since they were on Sunset, and
find them a blessing, especially the N.W store for
those impromptu occasions when I need, or want,
something right away to complete a project.  The
current 46 mile round trip is a breeze compared to
281N or the early 1980s when I used to drive to
Richardson and Plano for computer parts.

Yes their prices are higher, but so is their floor
space and cost of doing business, and extensive
inventory. ACS is cheaper, but their floor space and
personnel is lower and selection limited.

The one I really miss is Atex for electronic
components and hardware, built many a test fixture
and ATE interface with their parts, and saved customers
a lot of money not having to buy a gross of fasteners
and standoffs, when only a dozen were needed for the job.

Newegg is good and cheaper for those that plan ahead,
(as ae Clubit and Chiefvalue), but their volume is
higher and their cost of doing business lower.  And
there is a downside, if you buy a combo deal, say a
mobo and processor, and the processor dies, you have
to RMA both items in the combo transaction.

Lou