[SATLUG] Managed System Monitoring

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu Jan 31 11:26:18 CST 2008

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 8:42 AM, Daniel J. Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm familiar with Nagios and service/SNMP monitoring wouldn't be
>> sufficient for what they're looking for. They're wanting more of a
>> security monitoring (ports, file integrity, log analysis, etc) and while
>> I could set them up, I can't promise to always check my email or be
>> available 24x7 to respond to events.
>>

> That's the problem with 24x7 monitoring, somebody always has to read
> their email ;)

configure the mail client to play a wav file when an email with a
pre-described word comes through in the subject.

if subject contains 'error' play filename.wav

I'm thinking something like a loud ol' saxon, or siren emulator, or even
better yet, to keep the 'regular' emergency vehicle noises from sounding
like your computer warning, change the file to the European siren system..

;-)