[SATLUG] Re: Altex website

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:29:36 CST 2008

It's cool that you bring up Atex and Rheinert.  He was the main reason that
I always went to that place.  Way way back in the day when I used to work on
car audio/security, I would get all of my supplies there (resistors, diodes,
switches, capacitors, heat shrink, solder, etc).  Once I moved into the
realm of hacking console hardware, I would get my mod chips from Canada and
still went to Atex for all of the supplies to install them.  I remember the
last time I went there and drove up to an abandoned building.  That was one
of the bleakest days in my life.  Radioshack lost it's reputation a very
long time ago as a geek haven, and now they just sell crap.  I've been to
InterTex a few times when I needed something real fast, but now adays I just
order all of the components I need from Mouser (mouser.com)  The gradual
change from electronics that needed 'repair' to 'expendable' ones was the
eventual death knell of the electronic component stores.  Along with
convenience, we included tons of un-needed waste and a society that doesn't
know what quality is anymore.  It's truly a sad time.