[SATLUG] OFF TOPIC: "Say No to Photo-ID" for Cred Card purchases...

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu Jan 31 16:52:08 CST 2008

Tom Weeks wrote:
> Sorry for the off topic post.. But I don't know how many times now I've
> been "required" to show a photo ID when using my CC.. but I'm really getting
> sick of it.  Your self validating signature (in person and on back of the
> card) is all that is required legally by both Visa and Master Card*
>
> Has anyone else had problems bucking this?

I'm not convinced that a photo id is a bad thing to be requesting, when
using a credit card.

I'm gonna toss out some 'extreme examples', but I am in no way making a
'racial statement'.
That prefaced:

Let's say that Reginald T. Washington, or Julio Juan-Gonzales Rodriguez
or even Trailer-trash-Betty goes into Don's and Ben's liquor store and
purchased a couple of hundred bucks worth of booze.

The cashier, being the dutiful clerk that she is, asks for a
'photo-id'.  Can you imagine the reaction? "Why, Mr. Gonzales, you
certainly don't LOOK like a Tom Weeks!"

Actually, if she was worth her salt, she would have said "excuse me one
minute, sir.  I need to confirm this with my manager."  Now, if this
scourge of society had any common sense, they'd be running for the door!

Pray, Tom, that your wallet never gets stolen and you have to go through
such a hell.