[SATLUG] OFF TOPIC: "Say No to Photo-ID" for Cred Card purchases...

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Thu Jan 31 17:21:26 CST 2008

Indeed. I, too, write "Check photo ID' in the signature space. The last thing
I need is some thief trying to steal my ID by simply forging my sig. It has
saved me a ton of money, and makes it easier to control usage between the time
I lose a card and the time it takes me to get to a phone to report it. In the
'old days' before ID theft became rampant, I used to put my sig on a card. The
first time I lost a wallet and had to 'do the dance' with the CC companies, I
decided I'd had enough. Now, if a person wants to use my card, they better be
able to whomp up a real good fake ID to go with the card, 'cause they ain't
getting a copy of my sig to work from. I also scratch off the special
validation code on the back after memorizing it (and writing it down in a
notebook I keep locked up at home). This helps keep anyone from using it
online, where a signature isn't required. Bottom line is this: rights
notwithstanding, I like it when someone takes the time to double check to make
sure it's really me using my credit card. It beats paying for somebody else's
extravagant lifestyle; especially the low life scumbag thieves who would do
such a thing.