[SATLUG] Linux Support Needed in Bandera

Damian damian at suseroot.com
Thu Jan 31 22:44:42 CST 2008

Hello,
I've been reading this list for over a year, but have never posted.  I
work for a small company up in Bandera and am the resident geek, so some
of my duties include troubleshooting hardware problems and maintaining
the network.  Right now we have two windows desktops, two Linux
desktops, a headless Linux machine used for backups and serving scanning
and printing to the large Xerox.  There are a few printers attached to
some machines on the wired network.  The Linux machines are all running
Kubuntu.

Anyway, I'm moving to Houston and I don't know of anybody up here with
Linux skills that can handle basic IT maintenance duties.  The company
doesn't need a whole lot of help, but the people in the office aren't
very tech-savvy, so what seem like simple problems to us can ruin their day.

They can pay between $25 and $50 an hour depending on the person's
experience.  If you're just a regular Linux user and you can also
support the Windows machines and network, you are plenty qualified.  If
you're a pro, you can request something closer to the $50/hour.  I'd
imagine they might need a few hours of work per month.

It's a very laid-back atmosphere and the people are great.  If anyone is
interested, or knows someone who might be, please let me know.  I'm just
worried because I finally got them to embrace Linux, Firefox,
Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc. and I don't want to leave them unsupported
regretting their decision.

Thanks!

-Damian