[SATLUG] OFF TOPIC: "Say No to Photo-ID" for Cred Card purchases...

rsuberg at satx.rr.com rsuberg at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 23:18:59 CST 2008

I work at a company where only a few credit cards exist.  All of the
cards say "check ID", and my name is not on a one of them.  I have only
been asked for ID once, didn't match, and the place I was at at first
said they would not take the card, but because I am a returning
customer there, she ran it as a "phone-in" order and let the card thru.

Twice, I took the same card out of state for some training, went thru
the hastle of getting the ID of the card name copied (on a copier) on
company letterhead with my id, along with a letter stating I had
authorization to use the card also on company letterhead.  For two days
each trip, I used the card without being asked for any ID or having
questions raised.

I have seen where "check ID" is suggested to be written on the sigature
block of a card, but have not seen it make a difference.

Richard