[SATLUG] <sniffle> Time to retire my old faithful IBM tickety-tickety keyboard

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu Jul 3 10:26:35 CDT 2008

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Well, I have finally reached the point where only of my four desktop
> machines has a PS/2 port.  I have been muddling along without a KVM
> switch and using only ssh and remote X, but now I need to stand up an
> Exchange 2007 server to test something for a customer, and I really need
> an actual keyboard and mouse to do the installation.
>
> I've had this keyboard since about 1995, and it was old then.  I *love*
> the positive touch and the tickety-tickety sound this thing makes.
>
> So I guess it's time to go to Fry's and find a good USB keyboard.

Whoa, hold it there, Buckwheat...  just wait a cotton pickin' minute!
Not so fast, hotshot... don't be so quick to jump to conclusions...
there -ARE- ways around it!

Just pick up up an adapter.  from USB to PS/2... and then use your PS/2
- to 5pin DIN, if you need to.

They're out there.

I prefer the positive touch keyboards, as well and I'll -never- get rid
of the one that's on my workstation (although I never use the
workstation anymore, what with nx and wireless installed.