[SATLUG] Re: Posting on the SATLUG Wiki

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri Jul 4 18:15:13 CDT 2008

Robert Pearson wrote:
> Have a Happy Fourth of July !!!

At the risk of someone saying "what's this got to do with Linux?" I'll
go ahead and offer a big ol' hearty "THANKS" to all of you who have
volunteered to fight the good fight to give us our Independence and for
recognizing that Freedom isn't 'free'.

On this, the 232nd anniversary of our Declaration of Independence, I
wish to thank all of you veterans for protecting our birth-right
Freedoms guaranteed us by being born Americans.

- - -

Independence Day is the birthday of the United States of America and is
celebrated on the Fourth of July each year. Independence Day is the
anniversary of the day on which the Declaration of Independence was
adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776.

John Adams, one of the founders of our new nation, said, "I am apt to
believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the
great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of
deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be
solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells,
bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the
other, from this time forward for evermore." Independence Day was first
celebrated in Philadelphia on July 8, 1776.

In 1941, Congress declared July 4 a legal public holiday.

- - -

Independent from British, or any other country's rule.  Nice!