[SATLUG] I can not get cron jobs to run in Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 16:03:12 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Marc Ripley <misteratomic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've set up a cron job to record some late night conspiracy radio but
> it never appears to run.
> My knowledge of linux is limited but I can create a crontab under my user.
> I've added my user account to the cron group.
> I'll include a copy of the crontab file here.

Make sure cron is actually running, and check your system logs for cron
entries.  There may be failure messages.  It is also a good idea to keep the
crontabs as simple as possible, so dump all of those commands into a script
and just call that from cron.  A shell script just requires #!/bin/sh on the
first line and chmod +x on the script file.  Make sure that all of the
commands in your scripts are in the $PATH as well .. the environment inside
of cron may be different than your login shell, so some commands may not be
available unless you correct the $PATH.  If you are not sure about the
$PATH, just use the full path for all of your commands.

-Henry