[SATLUG] PDF to RTF

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Jul 7 16:27:34 CDT 2008

This is going to be tricky, as potentially PDF files have graphical pages
(ie scan from MFP), so YMMV.  You are wanting a graphic to text conversion,
unless all of the PDFs are generated in a known way and the PDFs are text.
Due to the Graphic (PDF) -> text (RTF) nature of the desired conversion, I
am not sure how to strip out the text and graphics and re-layout the RTF.  I
will give my cent of knowledge below, just to see if it may stimulate some
ideas.

I use PDFTK and ps2edit for my CLI PDF manipulations, but the particular
conversion that you are looking to do is not directly supported by them, so
you will have to do a multistep conversion.  I am not sure how to accomplish
off the top of my head, maybe:

   1. pdftk to blow apart the PDF to multiple PDF files each 1 page
   2. ps2edit to convert each to EPS to imbed to a LaTeX template (Use a
   standard pathname with the template and you will not need to edit the LaTeX
   for each render, since you are basically just using a single EPS for each
   page and the render process can just grab the new EPS during processing.
   3. Render the LaTeX to RTF via latex2rtf

Thoughts?
jp