[SATLUG] Re: cron jobs to run in Ubuntu

Marc Ripley misteratomic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 18:50:14 CDT 2008

Thanks folks.   That's plenty to give me a head in the right
direction.  I'll play with it some more and report back my results!
Regarding the crazy command line:  You bet, I agree that a shell
script is a better method but I had no clue how to create one.

I'm using a radioshark2 for the AM audio source and as you can surmise
from my bizarre commands, I had gotten used to using piped commands to
record a wav file and listen to it with VLC at the same time.

My experiments led to attempts to automate recordings.  This resulted
in the multiple commands joined by a semi colon ";" which you see in
my crontab.  With the single command line entry I could sleep arecord
until a show started, record for four hours, convert to MP3 with lame,
copy to a usb stick, delete the wav file on the system, unmount the
stick and shutdown.  I'd pick up the USB stick and listen to it during
the day.  Unfortunately this also meant that I had a root shell open
on my machine for hours at a time (albeit in my home).  You can see
why I wanted to cron this.  The shell script would have been the next
step.

Now I've got a few more clues to help... I'll keep trying until success.

Again, thanks for the guidance and samples!
--
Marc