[SATLUG] World of Warcraft on Linux

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 21:36:27 CDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 20:05:02 Benjamin Temple wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> How do I get World of Warcraft running on Linux, specifically Ubuntu
> 8.04.1?
>
> Regards,
>
> Benjamin T. Temple

Later on tonight or tomorrow I will double-check my WoW installation disks to
check about the setup.exe file. Either my WoW or Quakewars disk had to be
mounted in an unusual manner in order to get to the installer.
If the WoW disk does not show the installation executable, then the disk needs
to be mounted with the following command:

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,unhide /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom

/dev/hdd being replaced with the path to your dvd drive, of course.

After that, Wine ran the installation just fine... same with the expansion
pack disk.

After installation, I use the following command to run it:
cd '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft';wine
WoW.exe -opengl

Whenever WoW announces it needs to restart to do updates, I run the following
(the default desktop link created during installation):
env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\World of
Warcraft\Launcher.exe"

This is the same as typing:
cd '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft';wine
Launcher.exe

The reason for running 'Launcher.exe' is that the update installer runs better
when using the launcher 'splash screen'. Running the actual game is better
using the 'WoW.exe', skipping the launcher splash screen.
Using the '-opengl' option is up to you. I found that I prefer it to using
Wine's D3D. Also, using opengl allows the 'full screen glow' effect to render
properly while not using opengl makes the glow effect mis-aligned and
everything looks blurry with it turned on. Personally, I hate the glow effect
and turn it off anyway in the game video options.

you will probably want to start out with 1024x768 resolution... then test
higher modes depending on your vid card and monitor combo.
It is best to edit the following before running the game...

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/WTF/
config.wtf

look for the following lines...

SET gxColorBits "24"
SET gxDepthBits "24"