[SATLUG] World of Warcraft on Linux

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 21:54:20 CDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 21:36:27 John D Choate wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2008 20:05:02 Benjamin Temple wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > How do I get World of Warcraft running on Linux, specifically Ubuntu
> > 8.04.1?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Benjamin T. Temple
>
> Later on tonight or tomorrow I will double-check my WoW installation disks
> to check about the setup.exe file. Either my WoW or Quakewars disk had to
> be mounted in an unusual manner in order to get to the installer.
> If the WoW disk does not show the installation executable, then the disk
> needs to be mounted with the following command:
>
> mount -t iso9660 -o ro,unhide /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom
>
> /dev/hdd being replaced with the path to your dvd drive, of course.
>
> After that, Wine ran the installation just fine... same with the expansion
> pack disk.
>
> After installation, I use the following command to run it:
> cd '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft';wine
> WoW.exe -opengl
>
> Whenever WoW announces it needs to restart to do updates, I run the
> following (the default desktop link created during installation):
> env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\World of
> Warcraft\Launcher.exe"
>
> This is the same as typing:
> cd '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft';wine
> Launcher.exe
>
> The reason for running 'Launcher.exe' is that the update installer runs
> better when using the launcher 'splash screen'. Running the actual game is
> better using the 'WoW.exe', skipping the launcher splash screen.
> Using the '-opengl' option is up to you. I found that I prefer it to using
> Wine's D3D. Also, using opengl allows the 'full screen glow' effect to
> render properly while not using opengl makes the glow effect mis-aligned
> and everything looks blurry with it turned on. Personally, I hate the glow
> effect and turn it off anyway in the game video options.
>
> you will probably want to start out with 1024x768 resolution... then test
> higher modes depending on your vid card and monitor combo.
> It is best to edit the following before running the game...
>
> ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/WTF/
> config.wtf
>
> look for the following lines...
>
> SET gxColorBits "24"
> SET gxDepthBits "24"
> SET gxResolution "1024x768"
> SET gxRefresh "60"
>

> Good luck

Regarding the video modes... try not to change them in the game directly. But
check the modes available in-game and then exit without changing. Then edit
the .wtf file for the resolution change, like I typed above.

If this shows up on the list twice, I apologize. But I think I replied to
myself instead of the list.